Our client is a German travel retail and distribution company, with our Asia Pacific regional headquarters established in Singapore in 2010. Our group has over 130 years of experience in international Duty Free & Travel Retail, specializing in distribution and travel retail, with state of the art logistics solutions. We operate over 230 stores at 125 airports in 47 countries.
Scope/Goals of the position
The Head of Category for Liquor & Tobacco is a senior role responsible for planning, buying and reaching set targets for the category, and these tasks are specific to each clients Asia Pacific’s shop within the Asia Pacific region. He/She must have an extensive knowledge of the category as well as be updated on the latest trends and available products. He/She must be able to build a long-term and partnership with suppliers.
The Head of Category for Liquor & Tobacco reports directly to the Chief Procurement Officer.
Tasks of the position
- Maintain an over-all bird’s eye view of the category and be accountable for its performance.
- Manage a team of Assistant Buyers and/or Activity Managers who will take care of all day to day functions in relation to the category
- Constantly work towards improving the functionality of the team by thinking objectively, leading effectively and pursuing diligently.
- Inculcate a “can do” attitude with in the team and ensuring that the needs of the business are addressed on a continuous basis.
- Relationship management with category specific vendors/suppliers
- Seek the necessary approvals / support for any new and existing business in the region.
- Negotiate business terms for new and existing business. Schedule regular meetings to understand brand strategy and integrate launces and promotions in to internal calendar.
- Will be the main point of contact towards the industry.
Supply & Demand Planning
- Work hand-in-hand with the Supply Chain team to ensure optimal inventory coverage in our regional distribution center for all existing business.
- React in a timely manner to address an increase or decrease in demand in the region (door closure, new business etc)
- Monitor inventory movement on a regular basis and come up with an action plan for idle inventory.
Promotion / Activity Management
- Deliver an exciting range of on-counter activities to drive sales.
- Build customer loyalty to grow sales through innovative merchandising, pricing and promotional activities
- Negotiate mechanics, marketing investments and performance incentives with suppliers.
- Manage store merchandising plans, brand placements, planograms etc.
- Analyze the current trends and future potential within the category
- Monitor competition and market news across the retail landscape
- Improve and streamline assortment based on market performance of brand
- Provide a quarterly update to management on the category performance, challenges, future opportunities and action plan(s).
- Measure all elements of the category’s, i.e. Purchases, Sales, Inventory levels, Rankings and present the same in the form of detailed monthly category reports.
Interface to the following departments
Sales, Marketing, Operations, Supply Chain Management (Logistics), Management Team, Store Design & Heads of all other Categories (Perfume & Cosmetics, Confectionery, Local Products/Souvenirs, etc.)