Open Development Mekong (ODM) is the upcoming regional expansion of Open Development Cambodia (www.opendevcam.net), which provides access to environmental and socioeconomic information in various forms to encourage enlightened public discourse and policy-making. The ODM network will be a combined effort of partners in Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar to replicate the open access, open source model. This requires a set of websites that share a unified data/content management platform for serving as a repository of news articles, maps, data visualizations, and legal and library materials in multiple languages. Coordination with the staff of partner organizations will also be key. To that end, ODM seeks a full-time Regional Data/Map Manager.
- Collect, process, and publish data at the regional and country levels, across various topics or issue areas, ensuring that the OD websites contain a significant amount of high-quality, well-organized data sets.
- Scrape and aggregate public-domain data (government documents, nonprofit reports, etc.) by monitoring many sources to build up database while noting applicable licensing restrictions.
- Design infographics and visualizations to facilitate understanding and reuse of the data in several formats:
- tabular (CSV/Excel files)
- news articles, laws and library materials (text and PDF files)
- geospatial (SHP/KML files and geotagged media)
- images and videos (PNG and MP4 files)
- Train, guide and monitor country-level data publishers, in regard to their adhering to standards. Provide feedback on data management of country partners.
- Develop, revise, and update training materials, tools, templates and guides to support country-level data managers, as needed or requested. Contribute to the development of similar material for non-technical staff, as needed.
- Facilitate the creation and updating of data sets via software applications or online services that are user-friendly for non-technical staff.
- Coordinate with and act as liaison to other national teams for their data collection and processing; understand overall site objectives for matching to data/content priorities.
- Advise country-level partners in managing their data and coordinate with IT staff to troubleshoot technical issues that arise. Identify areas in which additional support is needed and possible providers of such expertise.
- Troubleshoot issues that arise in regional data management and advise country-level partners in managing their data. Identify areas in which additional technical support is needed and possible providers of such expertise.
- Supervise interns and volunteers contributing to data processing.
- Promote the OD Initiative and OD Mekong at outreach events, as assigned.
- Other tasks, as needed or directed.